Friday 26 November 2021

Blue Friday: Are The Children Happy?

I wrote a lot about Cathal Smyth's debut solo album when it came out, back in 2015. I made it my album of the year, in fact.

I don't think he's done too much since. In 2017, he announced that he'd had surgery for a brain tumour, followed by radiotherapy. I guess that would give anyone enough to keep them occupied. More recently, he was involved in his former band's autobiographical project Before We Was We.

But this is Blue Friday, so let's revisit that solo album and what, for me, was the highlight, Are The Children Happy? a song that is both beautiful and yet utterly devastating.

Probably also time to remember when I posted my review of his album on Amazon, and he replied. Day made, etc...

2 comments:

  1. Cracking album - some real moments of truth and "hang on, I think there's something in my eye"

    ReplyDelete