Sunday 7 November 2021

Sunday shorts: Vic

I have always rather liked Animals That Swim. I saw them live, back in the mid 90s, though I can't remember exactly when, where or who they were supporting. I remember being struck by vocalist Hank Starrs who also played drums - he had a very minimal (three-piece, from memory) kit set up next to his mic stand and played it, standing up, whilst singing. Okay, so I can't remember who that night's headliners were, but I can picture Hank, clear as a bell.

Anyway, here's a short song from debut album Workshy. Considering the vocals don't start until 53 seconds in, it's remarkable that this little short story takes in waiting for a bus on the Uxbridge Rd, a betting shop customer, Vic Chesnutt and Surfin' USA. Oh, and beer - "you know, that brown beer..."

After a stop-start career, Animals That Swim are still a going concern - here's their Bandcamp.

2 comments:

  1. I like that. Completely new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, isn't it? I can really recommend Faded Glamour, a brilliant "best of" ATS compilation.

      Delete