Friday 19 November 2021

Blue Friday: Heart And Soul

Time to remedy the fact that in sixteen and a half years of occasionally intermittent blogging I somehow haven't featured anything by Joy Divsion.

What I'm not going to do is write about the tragedy of Ian Curtis, as I can't add anything that hasn't been written better elsewhere, by others more informed than I. What I will say is that this is a perfect Blue Friday tune: Barney's repetitive two-chord guitar line becomes oppressive, whilst Stephen's skittering drum beat is unsettling. Throw in a shed-load of reverb and lyrics like this, from the third verse, and you're there.

Existence, well, what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
The present is well out of hand

Think I need "I exist on the best terms I can" on a t-shirt. Anyway, from 1980's Closer, here's Heart And Soul.

2 comments: