Saturday 20 November 2021

Live weekend, part I: farewell to the Rozzer

This is a scheduled post that I wrote last night, chiefly because, all things being equal, I'm going to be really busy this weekend.

First up, I shall be joining up with The Man of Cheese, whereupon we'll make our way to the Forum in Kentish Town to see the farewell performance by Martin Rossiter. He promises a long set - no support, just him all evening - covering his time in Gene as well as his more recent solo material. It' a gig that was supposed to happen last year, and has been postponed, deferred and rearranged so many times. I originally wrote about it back in August 2019.

So you can understand when I say I am looking forward to this, it's an understatement. But as well as excited, it also makes me sad, for two reasons: firstly, it's his last ever gig; and secondly, even for this swansong, he wouldn't go back on his word and get Gene together one last time. Oh well - it will still be fantastic. Here are some songs, starting with a video for which Martin sat in a walk-in freezer... talk about suffering for your art!

And some Gene - simply the best, and a song I fully expect the close the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment