Tuesday 14 March 2023

Every home should have one IX

No Ides of March nonsense here, just the remediation of a massive and long-standing oversight on my part with regard to the albums that no home should be without. Yes, it's another compilation album, but it's one of the greatest multi-act compilation albums ever released, by anyone, at any time. Buying this on cassette, way back when, was such a significant moment in retrospect, introducing me to a slew of new bands by the weight of association with bands I already loved. And tracks that, in the pre-Internet age of my youth, I might never have heard otherwise. How can I have overlooked This Are Two Tone for quite so long? EHSHO masterlist duly updated.

And because it still sounds fantastic, here's The Selecter with their eponymous B-side:

6 comments:

  1. When Terry Hall died I think a lot of us revisited our 2 Tone collection. I'm thinking you were a tad too young for 2 Tone first time around but glad it made such an impression on you.

    Pauline Black was a guest on the Antiques Roadshow recently getting her famous hat valued (not that she would be selling it - but then they all say that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance Craze - the documentary film is about to get released on DVD. No more searching out 10 minute grainy excerpts on Youtube.
    Was 2 Tone really that good an/or important? Absolutely
    (although Madness had left the label by the time of that album)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Man Of Cheese20 March 2023 at 09:22

    Music at its finest and still so relevant today. Had the pleasure to meet Pauline Black a couple of times,she was lovely. We can never forget Madness at Finsbury Park in 92 Mr P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I remember going to the The Selecter in Whitstable with your good self, met Pauline and got her autograph on a CD, as I recall. Good times. As for Madstock - a gig for the ages!

      Delete