Thursday 9 March 2023

Thank you for the days III: Thursday

Let's flog this blog series dead horse, with a third and final batch of posts featuring songs that have a day of the week in the title. It's Thursday's turn today...

This post is brought to you by the letter 'R'. Specifically, 'R' for Rol, as he made a slew of Thursday song suggestions last time around, and these all come from his list. First up, to wake you up, Sheffield's Little Man Tate with Pay Day's Thursday, their 2008 celebration of getting paid. Or of Jennifer who had, it seems, so much more to offer.

Next up, a song called simply Thursday, by a band called Morphine about whom I know very little. Still, the blurb for this on YouTube is helpful: "Hailing from Cambridge MA, the self proclaimed 'low rock' group Morphine were a dynamic part of the 90's alt-rock movement. The trio's distinctive combination of saxophone, double bass and drums merged with the vocal stylings of lead singer Mark Sandman to create a truly original sound." Doesn't sound 30 years old, does it?

And if 30 years isn't old enough for you, the next track is 40. This is Thursday's Child by The Chameleons. I've listened to it a few times in preparation for this post, and can't decide whether I like it or not. I think maybe I only like parts of it, like the dudda-dudda-dudda guitar motif underlying the verses. But then maybe I'm a heathen and you'll all tell me what I'm overlooking. Whatever, I prefer Swamp Thing.

Tomorrow, Friday. There's the home stretch, hoving into view.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the fence about the Chameleons, but Morphine deserve further investigation if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also on the fence. I want to like that track, but I just don't think I do. And cheers for the Morphine tip (and also all the suggestions you made last time around).

      Delete