Friday 10 March 2023

Thank you for the days III: Friday

Let's flog this blog series dead horse, with a third and final batch of posts featuring songs that have a day of the week in the title. It's Friday, let's end the working week!

To begin, a song from a few years before I was born. And for Van Morrison, before Moondance and Astral Weeks made him a global star. Friday's Child is not the typical proto-R&B that made Belfast five-piece Them's name, but has an altogether gentler, more soulful sound.

Let's get a bit more contemporary, shall we. This is Friday Love, by The Fur, and is completely new to me. It was released last year, I think, but sounds a bit like it was airlifted in from 1996. Maybe that's why I like it; my youth is now a retro trend.

Speaking of retro trends, let's finish with Paul Weller (ba-doom-tish, thank you very much, here all week, etc). This is Friday Street from 1997's (slightly disappointing, for me) Heavy Soul. The only surprise here is that it took me until part III of this series to feature this. Still, here's a nice fan-made video for it.

Saturday tomorrow. Contain your excxitement.

2 comments:

  1. Heavy Soul was a bit stodgy wasn't it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially after Stanley Road had been quite good.

      Delete