Tuesday 15 February 2022

Tube Tuesday: Bangles

Following on from my earlier post enthusing about the YouTubing of The Tube, here's another in an occasional series plucking gems from the back catalogue.

Today it's from episode 20 of series 3, broadcast 15th February 1985, and a live performance from The Bangles. Or just Bangles, as they were then. And yes, this is because I still have a bit of a thing for Susanna Hoffs, all these years later - no-one, no-one does microphone side-eye better than Susanna. But I digress. Here's the band before they got really famous, showing that they could rock a bit with three songs from their (excellent, since you ask) debut album All Over The Place: Hero Takes A Fall, Going Down To Liverpool and Tell Me.

10 comments:

  1. Great stuff, agree completely re: Susanna. Still does for me. Singing drummers always look a bit wrong to me, I mean backing vox fine, but lead vocals just seems wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, although I also think it's quite impressive - remember the lyrics, sell the performance as a singer, and keep the beat. I struggle to play the guitar and sing at the same time...

      They were/are a great vocal harmony though - recently found and enjoyed them covering early Beatles B-side Yes It Is, in that vein.

      Delete
    2. Yes, technically impressive. Like you say playing guitar and singing difficult enough. With drumming all 4 limbs going at once.

      Delete
    3. Keep telling myself I will take up the drums one day. Should probably get on with that, not getting any younger!

      Delete
  2. I fail to see what else could be in this clip to make it more 80s. Clothes - check. Haircuts - check. The dancing - check. Susanna Hoffs - *swoon*... check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, isn't it, real time capsule TV. Mind you, I still swoon at Susanna now...

      Delete
  3. You guys... I do agree though, she was my girl crush and you're right Martin, she as a master of the microphone side-eye.

    ReplyDelete