Monday 7 February 2022

Fantasy Cover Version #18 - if The Rolling Stones covered "Just When You're Thinkin' Things Over" ...

The temporary resumption of an old blog series that you can contribute to...

Here's the gist. I want to hear about your fantasy cover versions. Simply make the case for the cover version that you'd love to hear but, fairly obviously, does not actually exist. And send me that case, here. By case, I mean explain why artist X covering song Y would be good, don't just send me their respective names.

In case you're wondering, the sudden resumption of a series that has lain dormat for almost three years can only mean one thing: yes, sadly, the "contributor" here is me...

I recently picked up a two-disc compilation of 90s indie for 50p in a charity shop - you know the sort of thing, "The Best Indie Album in the World ... Ever!" or some such. I already have most of the songs, I just figured it would be a good mix to leave in the glovebox of the car. And it is. I had a long drive or two at the weekend, and it was mostly joyous, nostalgic, belting-it-out singalong stuff. Lovely. And that's how I came to listen, really listen, to this by The Charlatans, for the first time in a long time:

And it suddenly hit me - is Just When You're Thinkin' Things Over the greatest song The Rolling Stones never recorded? And it's not just because the skittering, irresistable percussion and driving piano line put me in mind of this:

But blimey, that even has an elevating late guitar solo, doesn't it? Not hard to imagine Keef and Ronnie providing the rhythm and solo for the Charlatans track, is it? And in case you think that's a one-off similarity, here's I'm Going Down, which isn't a million miles away either, when it gets going - just up the tempo ever so slightly, add some piano and you're on your way:

And the lyrical theme, of going home, is something The Stones have addressed before, albeit in a very different sounding song:

So there we are, I think the remaining Stones could make an excellent fist of this, amping up the bluesy sound and R&B angle that characterised so much of their best work. I'd love to say it would help update them for a younger audience, but of course the Charlatans track is 27 years old and counting. I do think fans of both bands would enjoy the end result though, I really do. What about you?

Let's end with this, shall we?

Think you can suggest a fantasy cover version this good (he said, modestly)? Then please, try your luck and remember - the more you make the case, the better! The list of past submissions may inspire you. And you never know, maybe this theme could make a comeback?

No comments:

Post a Comment