Thursday 24 February 2022

Королева Не Померла

You'd think, with pandemics and climate change providing enough existential threat already thank you very much, that war would not be something anyone would want. Yet here we are, with the barrel-chested Soviet throwback doing exactly what he wants and the West seemingly unable to do anything about it other than warn it was going to happen. Certainly our government, up to its grime-encrusted neck in oligarch donations, seems entirely powerless, immaterial and without purpose: neither use nor ornament, as my parents might say.

Whilst I hope for a swift return to peace in the Donbas, I don't see that happening, sadly. I thought war in Europe was consigned to the history books, but no. Awful, awful, awful.

I don't know how to end this post other than with a song from Peter Solowka's Ukrainians. You might recognise it.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I kept hoping common sense would prevail, but this had an air of inevitability about it.

      Delete
  2. Utter despair.... I fail to understand human beings.
    I saw a tweet about today's events in an article earlier, unfortunately I can't remember where now, but to paraphrase, it was something along the lines of "... thousands of people fleeing their homes because of one paranoid man".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It beggars belief, doesn't it? Sorry to say I don't think he'll stop any time soon either, this is only the beginning. Except the beginning was years ago, annexing Crimea, helping Trump into office, supporting Brexit, helping Boris into office, cyber-attacking websites... it all destabilises what is already a pretty ineffective opposition. God help Ukraine, and God help us all.

      Delete
  3. Neither use nor ornament, what an apt phrase for our government.

    ReplyDelete