Monday 21 February 2022

Monday long song: Paninaro

I'm not a huge Pet Shop Boys fan, but it's easy to overlook just how many hits they had, back in the day. And then there's this, Paninaro, originally a B-side to Suburbia. This remix, apparently released as a single in Italy, appeared on compilation Disco, which I had on cassette, way back when.

It's not hard to imagine that if, say, New Order had released this in 1986 it would be lionised now. As it is, I chiefly remember it for Chris Lowe's spoken ramble, mid-way through, in which he opines:

I don't like country & western.
I don't like rock music.
Erm, I don't like, I don't like rockabilly.
Rock'n'roll in particular.
I don't like much, really, do I?
But what I do like, I love passionately.

New Amusements Minor and I have adopted those last two lines as something of a mantra, of late. Anyway, here's the song:

2 comments:

  1. I love Paninaro- and the Italian Paninaro scene that inspired it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great tune, isn't it. And I really think the fact that it's PSB stops it being more highly regarded. As for the Paninaro scene, yes! A perfect 80s phenomenon.

      Delete