Thursday, 6 August 2026

No (or, Old man shouts at cloud)

I saw the BBC News headline:

"Why playing your phone out loud in public might become the new normal"

And I read the story. To which the only reasonable response is:

I was discussing this with The Man Of Cheese last week. It will come as no surprise to anyone to learn that The Intolerance Twins both preferred a time when phones were for personal communication rather than public broadcast.

I was also reminded of a quote from Alan Bennett, given in interview in 2015:

"There has been so little that has happened to England since the 1980s that I have been happy about or felt able to endorse. One has only had to stand still to become a radical."

I also see myself in this.

The Simpsons - Old Man Yells At Cloud

12 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you, Adam and Alan. No! No! Noooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big NO from me too. Not always young people though - in the shop where I volunteer we often have customers wandering around chatting on speaker phone. Drives me mad but interesting article on why it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Man Of Cheese7 August 2026 at 23:06

    Abso bloody lutely no. Drives me insane, but nobody seems to care about others anymore.
    I would feel totally self conscious and embarrassed broadcasting my conversations to the world but guess I'm rather old fashioned like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it would (or at least should) be toe: curlingly embarrassing! I just wouldn't have brass neck to impose myself on others.

      Delete
  4. Why am I hearing the intro to Tesla Girls by OMD in my head?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you're not playing it aloud on your phone, in a public place... :)

      Delete