Friday, 7 August 2026

(Sort of) New to NA: Rachael Wood

Rachael Wood

Full disclaimer: Rachael is not technically "New to NA", in that she's been David Gedge's lead guitarist in The Wedding Present since some time in 2023. As such, I've seen her live multiple times, and have increasingly admired her chops. This, though, is her first solo album: It's Not The End Of The World. To quote Rachael:

"The songs jump between bright indie riffs, surfy guitar lines, noisy bursts of energy, and quieter moments of reflection. They're rooted in the experience of feeling a bit lost, searching for purpose, and trying to understand yourself when things don't turn out the way you thought they would."

I'd also add that the album's consistent and accessible sound is sympathetically produced by Colin Walker, but then he is Rachael's husband, so I guess he really ought to get it right. As for the title, Rachael adds:

"The title is a tongue-in-cheek take on the phrase, "It's not the end of the world." It can be comforting, irritating, or impossible to believe, depending on what you're going through. That tension between hope and frustration sits at the heart of the album."

Her guitar skills are not in doubt, of course, but having only ever heard her sing Wedding Present backing vocals, I was intrigued to see how Rachael would handle lead duties on her own work. After a good few listens I've been wracking my brain for comparators, and can only come up with Rachael sounding like someone put K.D. Lang, Tracey Thorn, PJ Harvey and Dido in a pot and gave them a stir, then left them to simmer. That probably doesn't do Rachael justice but, for whatever reason - too hot? too tired? too Friday? - I'm really struggling for words today. Anyway, I rather like this, and feel it might be a grower - see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment