Everyone loves Sabotage, right? I blogged about it a couple of years ago, in my short-lived Great Moments in Music Video History series.
So why am I revisiting it already? Well, I read about the artist Corduroy Frames, who's spent five years (!) remaking the classic video in stop-motion form. This has been a massive labour of love - in his own words:
What started as a desire to get better at stop motion videos turned into a five year long obsession with trying to recreate one of the most iconic music videos ever made, one microsecond at a time, using card stock, foam, cardboard, tin foil and cotton balls.
He's goes on to list the ingredients for this video; 4,340 Hand Animated Frames, 108 Ad Rocks, 95 MCAs, 84 Mike Ds, 5 DJ Hurricanes, 41 Blue Cop Cars and 177 Pairs of Little Sunglasses. Oh, but no AI. Carbon-based creators rule.
Not that we need any excuse for another run through the Beastie Boys' classic but if we did, well, here's some stop-motion excellence. I very much approve.
Bloody wonderful - real artistry, fantastic! Thanks for sharing this Martin.
ReplyDelete(When I was doing my Illustration MA one of my fellow students made a stop motion film for one of the projects, I remember it took him weeks and weeks - then when he showed the final video to us.....it was about 5 seconds long!)
The sort of time-intensive precise craft we should be celebrating all the more in the face of AI generating slop in seconds!
DeleteSuperb, this is why I love the internet, for sharing these little rays of hope that the urge to create art the ‘long way around’ will never leave us.
DeleteReminds me of the 1500 written word essay component of my Art & Design A Level. Being the smartass that I am, I decided to crest mine as a 24 page comic.
Despite what you may have heard, a picture is not worth a thousand words, at least not to the exam board, so I still had to meet the word count, with the added graft of an average 6-panel page.
It would have been so much easier to just write the bleeding essay and I still only got a C overall, but no regrets!
Yeah, but the fun you had going the long way round...!
DeleteWow. Incredible.
ReplyDeleteFantastic, isn't it?
Delete