Thursday 9 February 2023

Thank you for the days II: Thursday

This was popular last time out, so let's go round again with another seven posts featuring three songs that have a day of the week in the title. Inevitably, it's Thursday.

In case you were wondering, there won't be a part III of this series, simply because certain days just don't have enough good songs about them. I would have been snookered for today if not for the suggestions The Swede made last time around. So let's kick off with one of those: Donovan from 1965 (unmistakably), with Jersey Thursday.

Let's bring things a little more up-to-date (though still seventeen years old) with another suggestion, this time from Khayem. This is Thursday by Asobi Seksu, an American shoegaze outfit that I know nothing about. I love this though. It's quite hard to make out singer Yuki Chikudate's vocals, and maybe that's part of the attraction. See what you think.

And here's one I found myself: Jim Croce was a folkie singer-songwriter most famous for Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. He had lots of US chart success, very little over here. This track, entitled simply Thursday, is from his last album I Got A Name, which was released three months after Jim had died in a plane crash.

Isn't it Friday yet?

10 comments:

  1. "In case you were wondering, there won't be a part III of this series, simply because certain days just don't have enough good songs about them."

    Ahem...

    Danny O'Keefe - 3.10 Smokey Thursday

    Harry Nilsson - (Thursday) Here's Why I Did Not Go to Work Today

    Chip Taylor - Fort Worth Thursday Night

    David Axelrod - Holy Thursday

    Leonard Herron - On a Thursday Morning

    Little Man Tate - Pay Day's Thursday

    Icicle Works - Sweet Thursday

    Morphine - Thursday

    The Futureheads - Thursday

    The Chameleons - Thursday's Child

    Spearmint - Thursday's Figure

    And in case you're wondering, I didn't use google. They all came from the overweight hard-drive. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good point, well made. There may be a part III... just not for a while. Also, I need to sort my digitised music out, it's all over the place, and there's no way I could easily do this kind of search. Do you use any particular software to wrangle your overweight hard-drive's collection of MP3s?

      Delete
    2. Media Monkey. It's much better at coping with large collections that Windows Media Player.

      Delete
  2. Difficult to compare these three as very different genres but maybe Jim Croce's song has the edge for me. I think I remember him best for Time In A Bottle but hadn't realised he was yet another artist to have died in a plane crash, at only 30. Awful.

    Were the Asobi Seksu vocals in English - very hard to decipher but a lovely sound to it. I think I caught the words, "crying out," at one point but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something in Yuki's delivery that makes those Asobi Seksu lyrics indecipherable at times. Here are the lyrics (I think!):

      On gentle ground, I waited for you
      In drops of dew, I wished that I were you
      With heavy hands, I reached out for you
      My skin soaking wet, my eyes searched for you

      It seems you lost your way
      You've let it all fall apart
      Nothing's left here but you
      All you do is remind me
      Now that we've lost our way
      The rest can all fall apart
      All I see here is you
      All it does is remind me

      With sharpened tongue, I cried out for you
      And must I refrain now that I need you
      The autumn wind feels as if it were you
      And swayed through the fields where I once held you

      It seems you lost your way
      You've let it all fall apart
      Nothing's left here but you
      All you do is remind me
      Now that we've lost our way
      The rest can all fall apart
      All I see here is you
      All it does is remind me

      Whistle through your window
      We act the same as you

      Whistle through your window
      We act the same as you.

      Delete
    2. Well, I only got two words (almost) of that. Bit sad really but thanks.

      Delete
    3. I utterly love it though, despite inpenetrable lyrics.

      Delete
  3. The Man Of Cheese9 February 2023 at 19:45

    You're doing a fine job plucking these day related tunes from the ether. I was thinking that this could start something whereby every now and then your followers(is that the right word for blog readers?) challenge you with a category with which to find songs for. I'm sure we could come up with some dastardly ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe I like that idea, maybe not! I may come to you for the first such challenge, mate, but not until next month at the earliest as free time is a luxury at present.

      Delete