Friday 10 February 2023

Thank you for the days II: Friday

This was popular last time out, so let's go round again with another seven posts featuring three songs that have a day of the week in the title. Obviously, it's Friday, so...

Going to start today with a slice of Nancy Sinatra because, well why ever not? The sound quality on this clip isn't the greatest but I chose it for the video, Nancy miming at the pit-head, or so it seems. Brilliant stuff from 1967, this is Friday's Child.

Continuing the theme of YouTube videos with poor sound quality, and starting a theme of songs that reference both Friday and Saturday, here's the oldest recording I've ever featured on the blog: from 1916, here's Al Jolson singing that old music-hall favourite Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go with Friday on Saturday Night? And actually, given it's 107 years old the sound quality is actually pretty good.

And so to another song that has both Friday and Saturday in its title. Thanks to Khayem for this suggestion: it's Friday Night, Saturday Morning by The Specials. I've gone for a live recording, just so we can see the late Terry Hall in action.

The weekend is nearly upon us ...

5 comments:

  1. I've been a bit awol of late, so I'm a mile behind I'm afraid. Great to see the Specials live recording and the Nancy Sinatra clip is new to me and absolutely fantastic. The Jolson Story was shown on TV when I was a young kid and I became quite obsessed with him for a while, then T.Rex/Slade/Sweet etc came along and my life was never quite the same again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was exactly the same with The Jolson Story. Great performance from Larry Parks.

      Delete
  2. Ah, an appearance by the late Terry Hall. Still in shock over his death at the end of last year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song from Nancy as well. I don't remember her much from back in the day but became a little smitten by her after starting this blog. Her clothing palette of choice back then - the video clip for Summer Wine has her in almost the same outfit.

      Delete
    2. What a man Terry was. And Nancy, what a woman!

      Delete