Sunday 12 February 2023

Thank you for the days II: Sunday

This was popular last time out, so let's go round again with another seven posts featuring three songs that have a day of the week in the title. Inevitably, we end with Sunday...

I need to start with an apology to Rol because I can't avoid it again, sorry. This is Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2, but it's the version I know and (whisper it quietly) love. I had live album Under a Blood Red Sky on cassette long before I owned War, and this is how I always hear this song in my head. Skip ahead, Rol.

Okay, let's press on and get this load of old tut over and done with. This is Sunday Morning by Madness from The Rise And Fall, arguably the last album before things started a slow unravelling for them. Who'd have thought back then that they'd be natural treasures forty years later?

And so to the end. This is in response to a request from The Man Of Cheese, and I'm very happy to oblige because (a) it's superb and (b) it's a standout track on what is probably Bloc Party's best album, A Weekend in the City. Feels like a good track to close the series with too, doesn't it? Here's Sunday by Kele and co.

Never doing this again. Don't even ask.

 

Or maybe I will, some time...

 

4 comments:

  1. A fine end to this series. I always enjoy these kind of challenges as you get a chance to listen to songs you might never have discovered elsewhere.

    I have an American blogging pal who is doing a 40 year retrospective and he has just shared War from 1983. Like you I just had the live Under A Blood Red Sky (on cassette) so got confused. Never mind what Rol thinks, it's still a great song as it was back then. Whatever the lead singer had done in the intervening years, it will always be a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Under A Blood Red Sky might just be my favourite U2 album.

      Delete
  2. The Man Of Cheese14 February 2023 at 20:13

    Splendid tunes. Whilst not a big fan of U2 either I also do think Under A Blood Red Sky is an impressive live album.
    Looking forward to your next themed posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, will see what theme inspiration strikes.

      Delete