Saturday 8 June 2019

Gnoomic

I went to see Wooden Shjips at the start of the week. They were pretty good, despite having so little variation in their rhythm section as to be metronomic. If that sounds critical, I don't mean it to be. They put on a good show with terrific visuals, I enjoyed the gig, and I enjoyed the company.

The support act though... the support act knocked my socks off! They were Gnoomes - yes with two O's, proving that the headliners weren't the only ones with an interesting take on spelling. Gnoomes are from Russia. I didn't glean this from Wikipedia but from talking to two of the band at the merchandise stall after their set (I even got to trot out the little schoolboy Russian that remains in my brain from 30+ years ago). Anyway, how to describe them? Two guitarists, one of whom sings. A keyboard player who also plays bass synth. And a drummer with a dubious haircut but who put the Wooden Shjips drummer to shame.

I've since listened to several of their studio-recorded tracks, courtesy of YouTube and, whilst worthy, they don't really knock my socks off. But in a live setting, there is something about their sound... it builds, swirling, euphoric, irrepressible, irresistible. Luckily for us all, someone was filming their set, so here's an example so you can see what I mean (play loud). Not sure why the cameraman was using the 70s sci-fi saturation effects on the video, but it shouldn't affect your enjoyment. Gnoomes - better live than recorded?

No comments:

Post a Comment