Thursday, 8 October 2026

TLAP: Old Speckled Hen Zero

At the end of the year, I'll do a chart rundown. Better get a few more reviews in then...

Old Speckled Hen Zero

Old Speckled Hen Zero

What's it like? Well, this is an interesting one. Back in our younger day, The Man Of Cheese and I had many a happy but spectacularly hammered night out that involved significant quantities of regular Old Speckled Hen. Although not the strongest ale (nor the weakest, in our defence), it seemed able to generate disproportionately large hangovers. I was curious to see what I'd make of the neutered version, then, and the news is good: it's alright! The twin malt four hop brew delivers plenty of flavour, and you actually feel like you're having a beer when drinking it - this sounds obvious but so many alcohol-free ales seem to have overlooked this crucial element. Not too sweet either. As a result, this is right up there in the top quartile of alcohol-free ales, in my view. Footnote: I even felt slightly sub-par the morning after drinking this, but that may just have been a deeply-engrained Pavlovian response.

Would I drink it in a pub? Yes.

Would I drink more than one? Yes.

Would I drink it all night? Quite possibly.

Stats: 0.05% ABV. Calories 12 kcal/100ml. Currently a steal at only £4 for 4 x 440ml cans, from Morrisons

Stars: ★★★★⯪

Old Speckled Hen is produced under the Morland Brewery name (though that is now owned by Greene King, and Zero is brewed at GK's excellent Bury St Edmund's site). But anyway, Mor(e)land gives, gives, gives me more, more, more...

No comments:

Post a Comment