Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Homonyms #9: Come Together

For the purposes of this blog, homonyms are different songs with the same title. And for the purposes of my sanity, I'm limiting each post to two songs, however many there may be that fit the bill.

Today we examine two different takes on, ahem, unity. Of sorts.

Our first Come Together is by Blur, from their oft-maligned debut album, 1991's Leisure. I say maligned but, thinking back, I seem to recall most people (myself included) were just a bit disappointed that it wasn't all as good as There's No Other Way. In fairness to Damon et al., they set themselves quite a high bar there. Anyway, here's there very-91 offering.

I usually write something here along the lines of "there's always a bigger fish" ... and so it is today, for this is the brilliance of Come Together by The Beatles, a popular Scouse beat combo who I feel may go far.

Poor Blur, I've just lined one of their lesser moments up against one of the greatest moments of the biggest band of all time. Anyway, other acts who also want you to come together include Primal Scream, The Internet, Spiritualized and, er, that's about it, I think; everyone else just covers The Beatles.

So, do you want to come together, or do either or these drive you apart?

No comments:

Post a Comment