Thursday 4 July 2024

Do the right thing, right

I'm breaking my own sabbatical for this, for whilst I anticipated an election in 2024 I didn't think it would be this early. Anyway, here's a graph that speaks for itself:

NHS waiting lists under Tories and Labour

That should be enough on its own to sway any undecided voters. However, at the last election more people chose not to vote at all than supported any single party, so I guess this is a timely reminder from Norman Cook at Glastonbury - if you want to change to happen, you have to vote for it...

But look, I know that no political party is perfect. No single manifesto aligns perfectly with my views (nor yours, I suspect). And all the leaders are flawed, and prone to saying whatever they think it takes to win you over, safe in the knowledge that pledges made during election campaigns are not legally binding. Keir might not be your cup of tea, nor Ed, nor Carla/Adrian. But at least they are palatable cups of tea, unlike another dose of Rishi. And whatever you do, don't be tempted by any dog-whistling Trump-lite with a pale blue rosette and a promise to "save Britain". No, no, no. If you are unsure where to place your X, may I refer you to this handy tactical voting guide by constituency, which makes no bones about its sole intent: to prevent a Conservative win.

Most of all, though, do the right thing, right? After all, you know who Johnny will be voting for, don't you? Be more like Johnny.


And don't forget to take your photo ID with you

4 comments:

  1. Excellent, Martin. I am pleased to see that the tactical voting guide result for my area aligns with the decision I'd made for today already... I don't think I've ever felt so strongly about the importance of casting my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've never seen my polling station so busy! I'm choosing that as a good sign, and enthusiasm for change.

      Delete
  2. Looking at that graph you would think that some of them have shares in Private Health companies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But surely they wouldn't put their own interests ahead of the country's...?

      Delete