Friday 26 July 2024

Every day...

Disclaimer: this post was written in December 2023, and scheduled for future posting. Its contents may no longer be accurate or appropriate.

Having just written about school days, it seems appropriate to remind myself that every day's a school day, still.

I had a bloke in my team at work once who loved Electric Six. He wasn't there for long, just maternity leave cover for one of my regular staff, but to help find some common ground and establish a talking point I thought I'd put the effort in, have a listen and see why he liked them so. Prior to that the only Electric Six tracks I really knew were Danger! High Voltage, which I liked well enough, and Gay Bar, which I thought was okay.

After the requisite amount of YouTubing, I gave up on my conversation-starter project, because I decided I didn't have much time for Electric Six. Also, I couldn't believe how unrepresentative of their wider sound Danger! High Voltage was. And that may be partly because I was completely, dumbly unaware, until a DJ on 6 Music mentioned it today, that additional vocals on that track were provided by none other than Jack White. I know, I know, I have clearly been living under a rock...

Anyway, regardless of such waffly nonsense, this is a terrific video. Frontman Dick Valentine appears to be a bit of a loon, which is possibly why my former mat-leave temp contract guy was so in thrall of him.

Tip the author

4 comments:

  1. And still going, you’ll be pleased to know… http://www.johnmedd.com/2024/07/high-voltage.html?m=1

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read your recent review and wondered whether I need to give them another go.

      Delete
  2. Great mad video! They were fab at the music fest up the road a few years ago - Dick Valentine was such a superb showman, the rest of the band were all part of it too, they were all suited and booted with plenty of great between-song silliness and just so thoroughly likeable. And, one thing that really stood out was how appreciative of and complimentary they - and particularly Dick - were to the audience. Being a relatively low-key event which felt very local, it felt almost like inviting exotic guests to a backwater village fete and them then expressing the upmost gratitude and pleasure to be there. Did you see John's post about seeing them recently too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see it, it made me wonder whether I needed to re-evaluate the band. And your reaction only adds to that feeling.

      Delete