Thursday 18 July 2024

All good things...

Disclaimer: this post was written in December 2023, and scheduled for future posting. Its contents may no longer be accurate or appropriate.

Today is the last day of the school year for Amusements Minor. Which means it's close enough for government work, as the saying goes, for me to mark the anniversary of when I left school. Okay, I would have to dig out my old diaries (shudder) to be sure of the exact date, but it's pretty much 35 years to the day since I finished the sixth form and got the school bus home for the last time. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then but I can honestly say I have only happy memories of school days, and only good things to say about my alma mater and its staff. I sometimes feel sorry for people who had a different experience of secondary education, and I accept I was fortunate enough to go to a brilliant school, with a unique spirit, at a special time. Not fortunate to gain a place there, because I earnt that, but fortunate that the place was there to be earnt, I suppose. And of course I met and befriended The Man Of Cheese there and the rest of that, as they say, is history.

There was no end-of-school prom for us, like there seems to be at the drop of a hat for schools these days. No. Instead TMOC, Roachford, a third boy (whose nicknames would no longer be considered appropriate) and I went into the city in Roachford's Allegro, for a spot of lunch; on the way, we popped into the hospital to see another boy - let's call him Horse - who was in for a hernia op, if memory serves, and so was missing the last day. After a fry-up lunch in Sarnies we went back up to school, via a quick pub stop for a pint, for an afternoon of "mingling" on the school field with the rest of the upper sixth and a few staff. I wandered around with a point-and-push Halina camera, taking a few pics of those that had hung around for the end though, truth be told, not everyone had. It was all decidedly low-key by today's standards.

I'm glad there was no prom for us though. I was terribly shy and so almost certainly would not have enjoyed myself. That said, I love this little clip from Spiderman: Homecoming in which Peter gets nervously excited for his prom (and date), perfectly soundtracked by Save It For Later by The Beat.

As I may have mentioned before, I also love the reinvention of the Tom Holland Spiderman era that allows me to fancy Aunt May...

...but enough about Marisa Tomei. When I arrived home from school that last time, Mum met me at the gate and took a picture of me with that same point-and-push. In it, I am trying to smile but look sad. I think I felt life was, if not over, certainly up in the air. I didn't know it for sure at the time but university was waiting, and a whole other adventure that is also full of almost exclusively good memories. But at that precise moment, as I came through the old front gate with my hands in pockets, trying and failing to look cool, I looked like a boy who'd not only had the rug pulled out from under him but had then been forced to watch whilst the rug was trampled on, shredded and finally set alight. That's how much I loved my school days.

Anyway, it's not from 1989, the year we are commemorating here, but it is from the 80s and it is good, so let's hear that Beat track in full:

More to follow, no doubt, when I have another "getting old" anniversary to ruefully acknowledge... Tip the author

13 comments:

  1. No big bang for my last day at school.It just petered out and folk drifted away.
    A few months later a pal and I paid the school a visit.
    We popped in to Pau the headmaster a visit.
    He thought we were plumbers there to fix his radiator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a sad but understandable truth there, I think, that in most cases teachers are far more memorable for students than students are for teachers.

      Delete
  2. The Man Of Cheese18 July 2024 at 12:11

    35 years gone just like that, mind you myself and Roachford hung in there for another year due to "less than impressive" A level results!
    Have to concur with you though mate, we were incredibly lucky to have attended the school we did, so many happy memories of friends, staff and activities. It played a large part in setting us up to be the (relatively) decent people we have become. As you mention its hard to find many people who didn't detest their school days, which is dreadfully sad.
    Would I go back to being 11 years old and do it all again-in a heartbeat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you and Roachford just didn't want to leave, understandably ;)

      Delete
  3. Ah, how lucky were you, sounds like you had a brilliant experience at school and that's so good to hear. I couldn't wait to leave - and particularly to discard my horrible uniform at last. (Fawn socks! Brown knickers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have to wear uniform in the sixth form. But even in the lower years, when we did, it was alright, a good-looking ensemble - I was proud to wear it.

      Delete
  4. On the night before our last day of school a load of us were invited to the chemistry teacher's house for a barbeque (very exotic in 1981). My friend Kev disgraced himself by propositioning our host's wife and then throwing up in the flowerbed. Still made it to final assembly the next day through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No leaving do or prom for us. They just told us to leave and hoped nobody did anything stupid on the way. As a teacher I go to many of the proms and leaving assemblies- I think they're enjoyable for the kids on the whole. A lot of people bemoan proms as an American import (which I'm sure they are) but they're fairly harmless I think and a way to mark the end of school, rites of passage and all that. The cost of some of the dresses etc is another matter entirely.

    Save It For Later is a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a prom for Amusements Minor, when the time comes, I just would have struggled myself. Friend of mine was just telling me how his daughter has a prom for leaving primary school...and went in an Aston Martin!

      Delete
  6. A great post that ended with a brilliant song. I’ve been listening a lot to The Beat’s three albums before they split up/off and they really were in a league of their own.

    Not sure about the Spider-Man/Aunt May references. You mean you never had the hots for Sally Field?!! I lost count of the number of times in the comics that Aunt May was either on the brink of death or actually dead…

    C, if it’s any consolation, I went to two secondary schools. The first had a burgundy-themed uniform, the second was brown, though thankfully that didn’t include knickers for the boys.

    No prom for us, but I remember that there was a collective act of setting light to our ties on the final day. And yes, we did remember to remove them first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Spiderman Sally Field, no. But Spiderman Marisa Tomei? Indeed, any Marisa Tomei? Aye...

      Delete