Thursday 27 June 2024

BTO

Disclaimer: this post was written in December 2023, and scheduled for future posting. Its contents may no longer be accurate or appropriate.

No, not Bachman Turner Overdrive. Johnnie Walker has a feature on his 6 Music radio show called BTO - Better Than Original. Listeners write in to propose cover versions that are, as the feature suggests, better than the original.

So without further ado, from 1980 here's the original Getting Nowhere Fast by Girls At Our Best! (their exclamation, not mine).

Good though that is, I think the 1987 cover by The Wedding Present is better:

Tip the authorWhich do you prefer?

6 comments:

  1. The Man Of Cheese27 June 2024 at 08:20

    Well that's a revelation! Several decades of listening to Nowhere Fast and I had no idea it was a cover version!
    I'm more biased than the BBC so couldn't make an objective choice,however The Weddoes version is clearly superior!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speeding it up makes the difference, I think. Can't beat high-speed 80s Gedge-jangle-thrash!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If I can quote The Simpsons.... "Mmm, sacrilicious..."

      Delete
  3. I'm with Ernie
    Good though the cover is you can't improve on the original

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I wonder if this is one of those songs where the version you hear first is the one you like best. The original passed me by in 1980 but, like The Man Of Cheese, I've been listening to the TWP version regularly since 1987.

      Delete