Friday 21 June 2024

Another one gone

Another sabbatical break for another RIP post. Donald Sutherland has died, aged 88.

Most obits will rightly wax lyrical about his role in the excellent Don't Look Now, or about his fantastic turn more recently as tyrannical President Snow in the Hunger Games trilogy. But of all the films he made or was involved in, the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers will always be my favourite. This first clip features a cameo from Kevin McCarthy, who starred in the 50s original.

And of course there's the famous ending:

Such a good film. Avoid all subsequent remakes, you can't top this.

As for Donald, RIP. I think his son Kiefer summed it up perfectly; a life well lived indeed.

6 comments:

  1. RIP Donald Sutherland.

    The film is one of our favourites too. We used to frighten the life out of each other after watching it, by suddenly turning into Donald at 1:59 above. Scary stuff but a great film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great post, Martin, and spot on. I've posted my own tribute today and I'm with you, Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (especially that final scene) left an indelible impression on me when I first saw. Donald was perfect in the title role, you could really believe the paranoia, mistrust, fear, hopelessness and sheer lack of sleep overwhelming his character.

      And those eyes...! There's an intensity in Donald's performances which are enhanced by his piercing blue eyes. Bill Bailey has a similar effect on me (!)

      RIP Donald.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, Khayem. I should add that I also love DS in a supporting role in The First Great Train Robbery, a caper movie that could not be more different from Invasion.

      Delete
    3. …and Wayne Sleep as Clean Willy! Didn’t end well for him, as I recall.

      Delete
    4. Exactly! A moment I blogged about a few years back...

      Delete