Thursday 28 December 2023

Sabbatical

The Terminator needs a vacation
I'm taking a break - a sabbatical, if you will. Not from actual work, more's the pity, but from here. Don't worry, if any of you were; I've put in a bit of a shift lately, writing enough scheduled posts to keep New Amusements ticking over for 2024. That's not to say I definitely won't write anything new during the year, far from it, it just means that I've hopefully removed the pressure I often put on myself to blog something (which has sometimes meant I've blogged anything, with very little quality control). And I will still read and reply to all comments. I've just bought myself twelve months without having to think of what to write, that's all.

I'm also hoping that reclaiming the free time that I would normally spend blogging might actually give me some headspace and impetus to get back to fiction-writing. Please feel free to kick my arse if, in twelve months, I'm still not back on that particular horse.

The other observation I need to make here is how much in awe I am of people who blog every day. I know I've been doing this for quite a long time, coming up on nineteen years, but I've never been prolific. Scheduling 50-odd posts for 2024 has really taken it out of me, despite the fact that some of the posts are - spoiler alert - quite brief. How some do it every day, and at length, I don't know. Cap well and truly doffed.

I should probably write a disclaimer too. The trouble with scheduling posts in advance, especially up to a year in advance, is that things change - events conspire to render what you've written either wrong, out-dated*, even offensive. What if I blog about Person X and am critical of them, schedule the post for a future date, and then they go and die the day before publication? That's not going to age well, is it? Although I'm not sure how something can age in advance, but that's a question of semantics, I guess. So go easy on me, basically, if future posts are somehow wrong or insensitive or something else bad. Maybe I should go through them all and add a "Written and scheduled in December '23" footnote.

Anyway, bottom line, I'm still here and hopefully nobody will notice the difference. And I'll still be reading, and commenting on, all the usual blogs.

New Years Resolution by Camera Obscura seems an appropriate way to sign off with, especially given the opening lines. Happy new year, everyone. Have a good one.

Tip the author* Some would say everything I've ever written on this blog is out-dated ... and they'd probably have a point.

20 comments:

  1. We'll miss your regular posts but good to know you'll still be around. I'm sure you'll make the most of your sabbatical.

    I know what you mean about the daily people. I have no idea where they get the energy and enthusiasm from but I'm glad they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will still be at least four posts per month here during 2024, so regularity will be maintained... ish. And yes, the energy and enthusiasm of the dailies...something else.

      Delete
  2. I manage to post daily but am rarely more than a couple of posts ahead (I guess I'm writing posts in my head quite a lot before the actual typing occurs) so being 12 months ahead of yourself is a major achievement. Hope it buys you the space you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that writing a "recap of the year" post for December '24 was particularly hard...

      Delete
  3. Totally understand the need for a sabbatical and hope it really helps to revive your creativity - (oh yes - more fiction-writing, you owe it to yourself!) - but I'm so glad to know you'll still be around, and perhaps will include a contemporaneous post now and then should inspiration and opportunity arise, having taken the pressure off yourself. Absolutely agree about the daily bloggers, it really is something marvellous.
    Loving the song choice by the way - I've been getting into Camera Obscura lately having somehow missed out on them years ago. They always make me feel wistful in a strangely pleasant way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already wagering with myself to see how long I last before I have to blog something in the moment. If I make it to March, I'll be doing okay, I reckon. And it's a great track, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. We're all different and as a result we all come at this blogging lark from a totally different angle. Invariably, when I fire up the Mac I don't have a clue what I'll be writing about; probably because my head is so full of rubbish most of the time it's quite easy to just decant 500 words out of there and onto a blank page. Usually a recently snapped photo or overheard tune is the jumping off point I need. That and a lame pun for the title!
    Twice a week, generally, is good enough for me. Though this month I've been quite prolific for some reason. Prolific for me, anyhow.
    And, as I've told countless other writers & scribblers over the years, when it's no longer fun and feels like a chore - STOP! (Luckily I've never reached that point - tho' it sounds like you probably have, Martin.) Bottom line, write when you wanna write, don't write when you don't.
    Come back when you're ready. We'll still be here.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be back. I miss it already and I haven't gone yet!

      Delete
  5. The Man Of Cheese29 December 2023 at 20:25

    Avoid all press and news reports,otherwise there will undoubtedly be something so infuriating that you will feel compelled to write about on the day. Definitely more so with the upcoming General Election and all the self serving scheming charlatans that will be parading about,and I include all areas of the political spectrum in that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I will struggle to stay away when we get to that point. No doubt my intolerance will boil over and I'll have to post!

      Delete
  6. I get your reasons for the sabbatical, Martin, though the selfish part of me is glad you’ll still be posting through 2024.

    I’m pretty much a day-at-a-time blogger, posts (& mixes) rarely more than 12 hours in advance of going live. Sometimes they’ve popped out of nowhere less than an hour before posting! I prepped a week’s worth in advance of the Clan K holiday in October and I found that toughest of all, so I greatly admire your discipline in having posts lined up for 2024.

    Me? If I had less stress and more sleep, I may be less inclined to post daily…!

    Thanks for everything on New Amusements this year, hope you have a great NYE and a satisfyingly creative 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Khayem. I will definitely still be here in '24, four or five posts a month on average, which isn't much less than I managed for most of '23. With luck, readers won't really notice the difference.

      And likewise, a happy NY to you and all at Dubhed Towers.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Martin. You'll be missed (in principal), but anything that encourages more fiction writing from you is to be applauded. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Rol. I'll try not to waste the time I've made for myself.

      Delete
    2. Wonder if this might be something that'd interest you? A friend/neighbour joined up a couple of years ago, she loved it (and wrote a novel):
      https://londonwriterssalon.com/

      Delete
    3. Looks like a good resource, if a little pricey! But definitely something to consider.

      Delete
    4. She did the Writers' Hour, I think it's free.

      Delete
    5. Will investigate. Thanks, C.

      Delete
  8. It's only taken me 26 days of the new year to get round to visiting a few places, so huge apologies for being so tardy.

    I might be one of those folk who looks as if he posts every day, but the truth is they are written in batches, often with 25-30 'in the bank' for use as and when....I can go for weeks without doing anything.

    Great idea that you've come up with for 2024. I hope you find yourself re-energised and the fiction comes along nicely. All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, JC. I'm finding that I miss thinking about what to blog...

      Delete