Wednesday 6 December 2023

It's hard to stay positive

I'm with Greta. The COP summit really is all "blah, blah, blah". Here are two consecutive BBC news headlines, as presented to me this morning in my RSS feed reader of choice, with annotations by me:

Annotated climate crisis headlines

I've said it before but, sadly, I still think the only way we are going to avoid a global climate crisis is if people who are already rich and powerful can somehow make themselves richer and more powerful by doing it. I take a cold crumb of comfort from the fact that their money will be worthless when there's no food, drinking water or habitable land left. Sorry (not sorry), dysthymia has hoved into view once more. Happy Christmas!

I'm not the biggest Ash fan in the world but since we should all prepare to get very hot indeed, this seemed appropriate.

Tip the author

4 comments:

  1. "...their money will be worthless when there's no food, drinking water or habitable land left."

    By which point they'll all have retired to their undergrund bunkers stocked with enough provisions to ride out the apocalypse and prepare themselves the re-populate the planet with a race made up entirely of the sort of people Jarvis once wrote a song about. (And I don't mean commoners... though it does begin with C.)

    "Dysthymia" is my word of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stockpiling a supply of crowbars, for bunker raids.

      And yes, it's a cracking word, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I share your deep sadness on the subject. Part of me thinks that surely even those who don't believe we're heading for this crisis might adopt the attitude of, well, why not just give alternatives a go, anyway, "just in case"? But I know that's just naive of me... Problem is, as Hawkwind put it so perfectly in 1971, we took the wrong step years ago:

    I think about the things that we should have done before
    And the way things are going to end is about to fall
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago
    Look around and see the warnings close at hand
    Already weeds are writing their scriptures in the sand
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago
    The morning Sun is rising, casting rays across the land
    Already nature's calling, take heed of the warning
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago
    We took the wrong step years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was unexpectedly pastoral, C, and also rather good. Here's the link to We Took The Wrong Steps Years Ago for other readers.

      Delete