Monday 12 June 2023

Sleep

I don't know if it's to do with getting older, or whether I'm just exhausted, or maybe I should go to bed earlier. Maybe there is something medically wrong with me, who knows (although being a bloke, I am stereotypically reluctant to find that out). Whatever the reason, I am so, so tired.

It doesn't help to not sleep well. Or, as hinted above, to wilfully go to bed the wrong side of the witching hour, every night, regardless of how early I have to get up the next day.

Whatever the reason, though, I am permanently tired. Not just physically exhausted (although that too, of course) but mentally and physiologically, to the point of needing to close my eyes. Later afternoons are a bad time, especially when the weather is warm like this. And as for getting through an evening on the sofa witout nodding, Jesus. Something made worse by the fact that I'm only on the sofa because I'm too damn tired to do anything else. And worst of all, after a night's sleep I wake up tired.

Someone asked me at the weekend if I'm writing at the moment. I gave my stock answer - I'd like to be but I don't have the time. That's a lie, of course. I'd like to be, and I have the time, but when I have that time I'm just too damn tired. Ditto sorting the garden out. Ditto getting fit and being more active. Ditto everything, really.

Maybe I need some chemical help to feel awake and alert, beyond the caffeine in my tea. I read a news article at the weekend about taurine, and how it may extend life and health. Yes, that's the same taurine that everyone was in a flap about a few years back because it is in energy drinks like Red Bull and Monster. So is it good for you, or bad? Family Guy thinks maybe not so good...

I've featured the obvious Pixies track before, so here's a short playlist of songs about tiredness and sleep from the usual suspects.

Tip the author

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of your tiredness Martin, and your lack of motivation for writing, and your sofa napping. I can relate that's for sure. We blamed the birds for a start as they start to chirp and cheep at 4am nowadays but then there is the heat too, and that general feeling that all is not well with the world, which is draining. We're really all going to have to snap out of this torpor as still so many good things in life - got to dig deep at the moment though.

    As for the drinks - think I'll stick to my cups of tea. Hang on in there Martin, would love to read more of your short stories when you find your mojo again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson. And I hear you on the general feeling that all is not well with the world, and how that doesn't help.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to read this too, Martin. I understand how it's hard to get out of that fug or rut (or whatever one wants to call it) once you're in it and it can then so easily become a vicious circle, and of course physical and mental health are so closely linked. I honestly think it would be worth a chat to a GP - e.g. get your bloods checked for anything that might be lacking, like iron levels? - in respect of the physical tiredness at least. If there's anything that can be addressed that way which will hopefully help you to feel less tired physically, then it is bound to help alleviate some of your mental tiredness too. It'd be a start, yes? Please tell me you'll think about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C. I will think about it.

      Delete
    2. Good... and goodnight! I hope you can get a decent night's sleep tonight too.

      Delete
    3. I second that suggestion from C. Always best to get checked out.
      Alyson

      Delete
    4. Thank you both. I should probably be asleep already, shouldn't I? Own worst enemy.

      Delete
  3. I can relate Martin. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, cheers. And likewise to you.

      Delete