Thursday 22 June 2023

I've got these slings, I've got these arrows

There's a moment, about two thirds of the way through Bending Hectic, a new(ish) offering from Radiohead-diversion The Smile, where an instrumental break sounds like it ought to be soundtracking 2001: A Space Odyssey. The moment where Dave takes the Discovery's pod through the monolith in Jovian orbit, perhaps.

However, literally no-one wants to hear me bang on about 2001 for the eight hundredth time, not even me, so let's keep it simple and just say here's a new song from The Smile. I especially like the tuning of a guitar as a motif, and the lyrics are right up my current strasse.

Tip the author

2 comments:

  1. Blimey, this is absolutely terrific. I'm not overly familiar with last year's album, though I've heard bits and pieces around the blogs, but I think I need to go back and (as John Medd would say) give it a proper coat of listening to if it's anywhere near as good as this. You're dead right about the guitar-tuning motif too - it's so engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, isn't it? As is that album youve mentioned. An indecently talented bunch.

      Delete