Thursday 8 June 2023

New to NA... and the worst band name of all time?

I received a mailshot from a local gig venue today. One of the bands "coming soon", apparently, are Jealous Nostril, which almost made me spit my tea. Surely this is a candidate for worst band name of all time?

Anyway, terrible moniker aside, it seems that Jealous Nostril (stop laughing at the back) comprise Johnny Borrell of Razorlight on guitar, Jack Flanagan of The Mystery Jets on bass and Ellis D of, erm (consults Internet), Strange Cages on drums.

Here's a sample of what they are churning out.

Which is neither spectacular nor terrible. Other tracks on their YouTube channel suggest high Borrellage and a drum sound that doesn't seem to vary much? Or perhaps I am being uncharitable. It has been known.

Tip the authorJealous Nostril though? I'd love to know the etymology of that. Suggestions in the comments please for even worse band names. There must be plenty, right?

17 comments:

  1. It does sound like it comes from one of those fake festival line-up memes. Still not the worst I've ever heard, which will always be...

    You've Got Foetus On Your Breath

    I'm reminded (as usual) of a HMHB lyric: "You're going on after Crispy Ambulance!"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4z3S0fCOew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, You've Got Foetus On Your Breath is even worse than Jealous Nostril. It also makes Crispy Ambulance seem positively erudite.

      Delete
  2. Jockstrap is an appalling band name, yet they're doing OK. Mind, Jonny Borrell doesn't have anything to do with them which might explain their popularity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. ...Foetus... aren't even on there! Or at least, not up to the point where I switched away in disgust after they'd had the nerve to include The The.

      For the record, I'm actively seeking out music by Let's Get Out of This Terrible Sandwich Shop.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they're not bad. Though I suspect they're one of those bands that doesn't stand up to repeat listens.

      Delete
    3. Like a cheese and cucumber sandwich. Not bad, but you wouldn't want one every day.

      Delete
  4. Let's face it, however gorgeous their music is, Prefab Sprout isn't exactly a moniker that trips off the tongue.
    Though I seem to recall liking some of their music in the early noughties, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness always felt like a clumsy, po-faced name for a band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toe Fat is the one that does it (or perhaps that should be doesn't do it) for me. Could be worse, I suppose, could be Toe Jam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toe Fat is terrible but you're right, Toe Jam would be even worse!

      Delete
    2. Wait 'til you see their album cover...
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_Fat_%28album%29#/media/File:ToeFat_ST1970.jpg

      Delete
  6. For me the prize is still held by the late 80's Champaign Illinois band "Stillwarm Stillborn"

    ReplyDelete