Saturday 23 July 2022

Salesman

I don't know about you but I've been watching The Outlaws on BBC1, the Stephen Merchant-powered comedy about an unlikely gang thrown together by community service. It's funny, sometimes silly, occasionally dark, but generally pretty good. I'm a bit behind though, and am only half-way through Series 2. Hooray for iPlayer, right?

Anyway, episode 3 began with a visual catch-up montage, set to a jaunty tune that sort of rang a bell but I couldn't place it. Acoustically (if not vocally) it sounded a little bit like a Lee Mavers knock-off, or maybe an obscure out-take by The Coral or Lilys. Certainly it felt a little like a 60s pastiche, but still contemporary. Bottom line: I liked it but couldn't place it.

Later, I tried all the usual websites - TuneFind is usually best for ID'ing TV and movie soundtracks, I think - but none had anything for Series 2. In the end I had to go back to iPlayer, watch the start of episode 3 again, make a note of some key lyrics, and then search for those. Which is how I found this...

Love it! Salesman was the opening track on The Monkees' fourth album, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd, by which time (1967) they were starting to play more of their own instruments, and even contribute some songwriting. Not this though - it was penned by one Craig Smith, who had previously written for Glen Campbell and Andy Williams, of all people. A 55-year old tune, wearing well, used on primetime Beeb and making its way into my head - not much, I know, but I have to take such little positives when I stumble across them.

4 comments:

  1. That's great. I'd have thought along similar lines to you, or that it was something genuinely from the '60s but by a much more obscure band. What a neat find. The clips I've seen from 'The Outlaws' caught my eye too but I somehow never latched on enough to make a point of watching.. one for the ever-lengthening list! I just don't seem to find the right kind of time to catch up on these things (but in recent weeks I must say I have found the time to watch some classic TV from the '60s in the form of The Prisoner and UFO. They just don't make 'em like that any more...Time for a re-run of The Monkees show I think, now you've come to mention them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love The Prisoner! Good TV skills there, C.

      Delete
  2. Since radio has become so homogenised, TV shows are the best bet for delving into weird and wonderful back catalogues these days. I'm often tracking down tunes I've head in soundtracks.

    I loved S1 of Outlaws, but I'm struggling a little with S2. I'm not sure I like the turn it's taken plotwise, and there are moments when the Woke-Lecturing supercedes the storytelling. Or maybe I just find myself sympathising with Darren Boyd's character a little more than I'm comfortable with. And so far, there's not enough Christopher Walken. (I'm about 3 episodes in too.) Still, Stephen Merchant is a very funny man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after three episodes in with you on not being entirely comfortable with the turn the plot had taken.

      Delete