Monday 18 May 2020

Monday long song: Anyway

I've written about The Church before - in fact, I opened my old Clandestine Classics series with one of their tracks (ten years ago, blimey). When they started out, in the early 80s, The Church, in their stronger moments, were a bit like an Australian REM, as in that track I've linked to above. As time went on, they became a different, darker, gothic animal, more like an Australian Mission. As the 80s gave way to the 90s, the songs got longer and longer, and arguably less melodic. My interest in them didn't last much beyond 1993. I understand that frontman Steve Kilbey had personal demons to deal with - others might be better placed to judge whether this was a factor in the gradual change in musical style, I don't know.

Anyway... this is from an EP released in 1998, well past my days of buying Church releases but discovered a couple of years ago via YouTube. It's not great, it's not terrible, but it is long enough to qualify for this series.

What do you reckon? Bobby-dazzler or bobbin-shite?

No band would call themselves The Church these days, not if they wanted to be Googlable...

No comments:

Post a Comment