Tuesday 24 March 2020

Asterix and Restinpix

I know lots of people are dying at the moment (there, obligatory COVID-19 reference done in the first sentence) but I was still slightly saddened to read of Albert Uderzo's death. He was, as you've probably guessed if you didn't already know, one of the co-creators of Asterix, the plucky Gaul and perennial thorn in the side of those pesky Romans.

I had an admittedly short spell in childhood of being very into Asterix books, which in turn led to a greater (and lasting) interest in Imperial Rome. Seems that they, rather than the indomitable Gauls, won me over.

I chose the image to the left for two reasons - firstly, it was just about my favourite Asterix book when I was a kid (wish I still had it, but flogged my vintage copy on Amazon some time ago), and secondly - well, I think this may be the only Olympics we see this year (there you go, another COVID-19 reference for you).

No comments:

Post a Comment