Wednesday 25 March 2020

Mirror man

Like lots of people suddenly working from home more than they ever have before, I'm spending a lot of time in videoconferences, staring at my laptop's webcam like it's HAL's unblinking red eye. And seeing myself in close-up, on-screen, in return. It's not a pretty sight.

I don't tend to look in the mirror, generally, other than a fleeting glance to make sure my face is basically clean. I don't have much in the way of hair, so it's not like I have to spend ages fussing over my barnet. And you can clean your teeth without a mirror. In other words, it's not often that I look at myself, and never for prolonged periods.

So the webcam experience is a sobering one. I look like crap, basically. Podgy, jowly, bald, wrinkled, old and unattractive. It's a good job I'm not single, because no-one would look twice at me. Terrific. Still, it's an excuse to play this.

6 comments:

  1. Please don't put yourself down, Martin! I'm v grateful I don't have to do any videoconferencing so you have my sympathy. Still I don't reckon true attractiveness or whatever you want to call it is about the youthfulness of the skin or the lustre of the hair, etc., it's about the authenticiy of one's smile! Though I hope that doesn't sound like one of those poxy fridge magnet quote things...
    Nice song choice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. It doesn't sound like a fridge magnet...you'd think I'd be using to looking like a sack of spuds by now, but turns out I'm not :(

      Delete
  2. Yes, we've done more FaceTiming with my daughter than ever before and I hate seeing myself on the screen but in the grand scheme of things just glad we have the technology to do it. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started turning the webcam off before I enter videoconferences now. This may be the height of online rudeness, I don't know (or much care!)

      Delete
  3. The Man Of Cheese29 March 2020 at 22:56

    Not really done much via webcam but started recently and know exactly what you mean. Still feel young at heart but looking at oneself on screen tells a very different somewhat depressing story. At least talking in person you can't see yourself!


    ReplyDelete