Thursday 19 March 2020

The chase

No, this is not a paean to the ITV game show or its admittedly likeable host, Bradley Walsh. Nothing so light or frothy, I'm afraid. In fact, if you're already feeling a bit down, you might want to browse the sidebar on the right and read something else, something cheerier. Because what I write today is naturally the coronavirus, and its impact on our lives.

No, wait, come back! I fully appreciate the last thing the Internet needs right now is another no-mark's opinion on the empty shelves in Sainsbury's, or the fact that working from home sounds alright for a few days but gets old quickly. But what I really wanted to talk about was the bigger impact, the underlying effect on our core, our outlook, our way of life.

You see, when things really started to ramp up, about the time that people started ironically losing their shit over toilet paper, I wondered, optimistically, whether the coming pandemic would give people cause to re-evaluate their lives. Maybe I was being naïve, I don't know. But I wondered whether people collectively would realise that the way we have been living is so wrong, that our priorities have become so skewed. I hoped, perhaps foolishly, that people would have a Damascene revelation and realise that they had bought into a continual and unachievable chase. You know, the chase to have more. A phone upgrade. A new sofa. A fitted kitchen. Another pair of trainers. A phone upgrade. More TV channels. Clothes with some designer's name on. A faster bike. A phone upgrade. A nicer car. A bigger house. More exotic holidays. A phone upgrade...

You know what I mean. You'll no doubt have your own chase. I certainly have had mine, though it's nothing like the exemplar above, thank God. And the thing is, in the grand scheme of things, none of that stuff matters, not really. And a 24-pack of luxury quilted two-ply doesn't really matter either. Not when compared to the fundamentals: food, shelter, health. Our family, friends and loved ones. Our children. Our future.

So people will realise, I thought, that the chase is stupid and unimportant: they'll see the suffering of their aged parents or their newly unemployed friends and think, God, something's got to change. They'll note the cleaner air, the clear skies, the quieter roads, and realise the unsustainability of our 21st Century lifestyle, the message rammed home with the force of a thousand Thunbergs. And people will change, abandon the chase.

That's what I thought. But then last weekend, on a perhaps ill-advised trip to the Smoke, I watched in mute amazement as a thirtysomething over-nicotined housefrau got into a shouting match in the street over a packet of nappies, along the lines of "If I need f-ing napppies for my f-ing nephew and I can't f-ing buy them I'm just going to f-ing take 'em." It transpired she had just removed them from someone else's trolley. And yesterday, back home in my sleepy rural idyll, I watched in equally mute amazement as a WAG tried to persuade the guy behind the counter in the butcher's that, when things got tight, he should not sell food to other people but keep it for regular customers like her. This was before she hopped back into her Range Rover with a bag of raw meat for her dogs. And today I've heard from a good friend who lives in Madrid where, it transpires, supermarkets have implemented a "one-out, one-in" policy as the only means of maintaining any control over panic buying.

So rather than abandon their chase, it seems that people have just found another one: chase food, chase toilet paper, chase nappies, chase hand sanitiser. Sod the person in the queue behind you, with the empty bag. Yes, social media has plenty of stories along the lines of

"I saw an old man in the supermarket and he only wanted <<insert heartbreakingly basic object here>> and the shop had run out, so I found a way to get him some. BE KIND PEOPLE!"

And that's fine, of course. But I don't know that this charitable bonhomie will last, not when the supermarkets start closing, rather than just having limited stock. I wonder, privately, how far off looting might be. Or fighting in the street over a tin of beans. Because this isn't going to be over in a month's time, I'm sorry but it just isn't - read this if you don't believe me. And it'll probably get a lot worse before it gets better.

I don't know what the answer is. I just hoped that this was a chance for humanity to reinvent itself, to be better. Now I fear it is going to become the excuse humanity needs to be its worst self.

Look after yourselves, and each other. Get your news and health advice from reputable sources. Don't become mired in social media, otherwise you'll end up like me, with a band of anxiety so tight around your chest that you'll start to wonder (as I did last night) if what you're feeling is actually the start of COVID-related respiratory problems...

How to end this sorry excuse for a post? Er... with Michael Stipe, of course. To paraphrase him, it's not the end of the world, but maybe the end of the world as we have known it.

And because this has been such a heavy post (sorry), here's something marginally lighter, that leads nicely on from Mr Stipe. Why not sing it whilst you wash your hands?

8 comments:

  1. Sadly I feel the human race in general has for too long been like a bunch of marauding teenagers having a party when the parents are away and we've trashed a very beautiful old house and its abundant garden. Fighting, raiding all the food, stubbing our fags out on the nice furniture, throwing up over the flowerbeds, breaking all the windows, etc. Something out there is saying, "Enough! I gave you all this and let you have free rein but now you're just taking the piss!" Is this our come-uppance, some kind of brutal lesson from nature: "ok, here it is, take the punishment then sort yourselves out, see the error of your ways and take this chance to re-boot, or else..." ?
    I have long thought the place would be far better off without us. That said, there are a lot of exceptions!






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, C. It's like that old Yellow Pages TV ad where the teenager had a party and trashed his parents' house. Now, where's a French polisher when we need one?

      Delete
  2. I understand your disappointment, worry and frustration, but I think it's a little early to write everyone off. The panic buying has been for a few days, and it will probably calm down. No one is going to starve, no one is dropping bombs on us, and we live in an age of information and connectivity.
    Some people will learn from this situation, not everyone, but some will, and add that to the climate movement, and the next generation will have some valuable lessons under their belt. We must also acknowledge that this greed isn't something new in human nature. For centuries the majority lived under the tight rule of the few who owned everything. They had no choice in what they ate, where they travelled or lived. We have those freedoms and we have revelled in them. A lot of us don't know any better.
    I had a little panic but now I've found some zen.

    Right, enough alcohol soaked musing. Stay safe Mr P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your optimism, and am fully cognisant of my pessimism. Like Nick Cave said, people just ain't no good.

      Delete
  3. I think it just shows the gulf between the decent and the bloody awful in a stark light. Many tales of good deeds and decency get overshadowed by the feral and the vile,much as in normal times.
    Unfortunately I'm convinced that the decent are becoming fewer and the indecent far greater. If it does all go badly pear shaped it will be the likes of us that suffer first.
    Maybe we will have a revelation...for a moment then return to destroying ourselves and all around us.
    Soon we might realise that a mountain of cash is pointless if there's no food to buy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, mate - you can't eat gold, after all. And yes, hard not to worry that the bad will outweigh the good.

      Delete
  4. You've just articulated what I've been thinking over the last few days Martin.

    I started writing this comment just before 8.30pm. Have now returned to the computer. It's just got really, really serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it just? Unprecedented, dark days.

      Delete