Friday 31 January 2020

Par-AD-y

I have precisely zero interest in American football. I do, however, like the occasional moments of genius thrown up by adverts made especially for the Superbowl. I wrote once before about the brilliant Honda ad that imagined a sequel to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. When such ad's work, they really work.

A shame, then, that when adverts of this type don't work ... well, at best they just grate. This year, Mountain Dew recruited Bryan Cranston, no less, to parody The Shining, all to peddle their latest sugar-free offering. I wanted this to be good. Certainly there's an attention to detail in the set recreation that I very much approve of. But the advert as a whole? Not so much, I'm afraid. See what you think...

An opportunity missed, I reckon. Also, I know Superbowl advertising is ridiculously expensive, but this might have been better if it had been longer, less rushed. Might...

2 comments:

  1. I just lost respect for Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I mean, okay, he (maybe?) looks like he was having fun, but really, how much does he need the money?

      Delete