Monday 26 February 2018

On being reviewed

I've written plenty of reviews in my time - album reviews, gig reviews, book reviews, film reviews - enough to know that a well-crafted review takes time, effort and, most of all, careful thought. Careful because it's easy to write a throwaway review, but hard to focus in on what makes something good, bad or somewhere in-between, and to pick out what works and what doesn't.

I've been reviewed a bit too, in various ways and for various products (short stories, mostly) but seldom anywhere that garners much critical attention.

All of which makes receiving more considered reviews both gratifying and, if I'm honest, more than a bit humbling.

Here's a review from a few weeks back of my novel, Drawn To The Deep End by Rol at My Top Ten. Here's another, today, from JC at The (New) Vinyl Villain. And here's another, from C at Sun Dried Sparrows. Three reviewers from bloggers I admire tremendously - in means something to me that they've written these. As does this one, from Mark Kilner, an amazing author who, more than most, can tell a proser from a poser.

I'm sorry to go on, I was just wondering how successful you have to get before the buzz wears off. You know, the buzz of receiving not just a good review but a good review from someone you admire or respect. How ever successful that is, I'm not there by a long chalk, and sort of hope I never am...

6 comments:

  1. All are very well deserved! Lovely to read the latest review from JC too. You have every right to be chuffed!

    I wonder about that buzz too - whilst my work is only one part of the whole thing, it's true that it's really gratifying to read a comment in a review that refers specifically to my contribution. We all need a boost too. I'd like to think it never wears off (maybe that's a positive aspect to having imposter syndrome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I wonder, if the buzz wears off does it mean one is so fundamentally changed that future work would be noticeably different? Might be a nice problem to have, but not one I expect ever to have to grapple with!

      Delete
  2. I don't know about amazing, but it's very kind of you to say so. Interesting question about the buzz; I write because I have to (I can't live with myself if I don't), so any acclaim (welcome as it is) is just a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good point. Taking the question back to the basics, would I still write with no acclaim? Of course! With no means of publication? Of course! If I never even shared the results with anybody? Of course. Abd I know you would too.

      Delete
    2. If you ask me, that should be the best and only reason to do anything creative.

      Delete
    3. Agreed. Anything else is a bonus buzz!

      Delete