Thursday 15 February 2018

Insufficient oil pressure

To my environmental (and financial) regret, I run two cars. One is a precision-tooled slab of Germanic engineering that is quiet, efficient, comfortable, spacious... the other is a cheap, poorly-finished, lightweight slice of Italian fluff that I bought in a hurry when my previous job forced an office relocation on me.

Now if you go too fast around a corner or brake hard in the Italian fluff, the dashboard beeps unhappily and displays the warning message "Insufficient oil pressure", before advising me to pull over and switch off immediately. Of course I do no such thing - the oil pressure is fine, it's just that the cheap sensor is unreliable, especially when jiggled (as might happen under sharp cornering or severe braking). But I do like the wording of the warning - insufficient oil pressure seems like a fitting metaphor, especially for today.

A clip from one of my favourite films (The Game) and favourite directors (David Fincher):

4 comments:

  1. Please tell me the German one isn't an Audi. You can go right off some people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, don't worry, it's not. Much more of a people's car...

      Delete
  2. 'Insufficient oil pressure' def has a ring to it.
    Loved our old VW Polo... now sadly gone to the great scrapyard in the sky but wow was that a solid car, the panels didn't dink when you touched them for a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the solidity of a Vee-dubya is something I can only dream of in the Italian fluff.

      Delete