Thursday, 10 September 2026

Wordle for crate-diggers

For a variety of reasons, blogging has been the last thing on my mind of late. But life goes on.

Here are a couple of websites Amusements Minor has brought to my attention in recent weeks. The first is vinylpeek.com which is basically Catchphrase but without Roy Walker. Instead of Mr Chips acting out some phrase or other, Vinylpeek reveals an album sleeve, one guessed square at a time. The fewer squares you have to reveal to identify the album, the more points you score. Simple. And there's even a leaderboard, so you can see how you compare with the rest of the world.

The second is lessgames.com/songless which is basically Name That Tune but without Tom O'Connor. You can incrementally reveal more and more of a song's intro until you get to the point of being able to identify it, with the obvious intention being to ID it quickly. There are also rock- and hip-hop-specific options you can play - I am generally quite good at one of those, less good at the other (I'll leave it to you to guess which).

I am gratified that Amusements Minor and his generation are playing these games. It gives me a little hope. And sorry if I've added to the list of things the obsessive among us feel compelled to do every day... Anyway, here's a song to end on. No points for the album sleeve or guessing it from the intro, I'm afraid. From The Strokes' occasionally-maligned 2011 album Angles, this is Games.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks (and to Amusements Minor!)for these - vinylpeek reminds me of the album sleeve puzzle I've done on SDS so it's good for me to have chance to play along with something similar myself and yes, may have to add to the list as you say, along with other brain exercises which have become part of the daily routine (Wordle, Countdown on catch up and online jigsaws!) What are we like?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably best not to add up the time I spend doing small games like these daily ...

      Delete