Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Randcamp: Autumn

One way or another, September marks the start of Autumn, whether you go for the meteorological (1st Sept) or the equinox (today). So it seemed like a good subject for this month's Randcamp ... except I had to listen to a whole batch of dreary sixth-form poetry about mists and falling leaves, mostly set to desperately earnest but entirely predictable musical offerings. Sigh. At least I found these three.

The Blue Herons are a jangly duo who even called their song Autumn Leaves but redeemed themselves by singing about a drop in atmospheric pressure in the first line. Okay, so they almost ruined that with a strange pronunciation of "atmospheric" but I let it slide.

Autumn Glow by Boat To Row sounds like what you'd get if you crossed Gavin Osborn with early Jake Bugg. This is a good thing. The track dates from 2010, and their dotcom address just redirects back to Bandcamp, but they were still active in 2021, so who knows?

Peacock Affect is the stage name of a singer-songwriter from Exeter. I chose his take on Autumn because it was so very different from everything else I was hearing as I researched this post. I wonder if maybe he wasn't in a very good place when he wrote this? 'Tis the season for mists and melancholy, after all...

So, three quite different Autumn vibes... Any of them making you want to wrap up warm and go for a trudge through predictable fallen leaves?

No comments:

Post a Comment