Sunday, 26 July 2026

Homonyms #7: Run

For the purposes of this blog, homonyms are different songs with the same title. And for the purposes of my sanity, I'm limiting each post to two songs, however many there may be that fit the bill.

Today we lace up our trainers and go for a run.

Our first Run is by New Order, from 1989's Technique. I think that was the last album by them that I bought, other than compilations. It's certainly the last I bought on vinyl. Don't @ me, as the youth might (still?) say. Anyway, it's alright isn't it, but suffers by comparison to other tracks on the album, I think.

Talking of suffering by comparison, here's Snow Patrol's Run. I know this cemented their status as the headline act they've been ever since, and I don't mind it at all, but, as a guitarist, I do sometimes wonder how a band can get so big with such simple songs? What am I missing?

Other Runs I haven't been on include those by Spiritualized, Air, Stephen Fretwell (popularised [a bit] by Gavin & Stacey), Lighthouse Family, Amy Macdonald, and probably loads more, inevitably including that one you know and love that I've somehow overlooked.

So, do these make you want to run towards them, or in the opposite direction?

No comments:

Post a Comment