Saturday, 11 July 2026

Homonyms #6: Superman

For the purposes of this blog, homonyms are different songs with the same title. And for the purposes of my sanity, I'm limiting each post to two songs, however many there may be that fit the bill.

Today we turn our eyes to Kal-El, last son of Krypton... with thanks to JC, who suggested this title.

Our first Superman is from David Gedge's other band, Cinerama. He might have switched jangly guitars for a string quartet, but the gritty drama of heartache and failed love is all present and correct.

REM's Superman is more upbeat. I suppose I ought to feature the original, since this is a cover of 60's band The Clique, but this is the version I know and love, and my gaff, my rules.

Supermen I have passed over include early Blur, Eminem, Stereophonics, Black Lace, Goldfinger, Tarrus Riley, and loads and loads more. And before you start, the Laurie Anderson song is called O Superman, so strictly speaking doesn't qualify as a homonym...

Do these make you want to leap tall buildings in a single bound? Or should they be banished to the Phantom Zone?

7 comments:

  1. I have a query as to whether you would accept longer song titles where most of the title is in brackets except for the homonym? That's the kind of thing I do on Namesakes just to wind George up. If so, I offer...

    The Kinks - (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman

    If not...

    The Ides of March - Superman
    Allison McCallum - Superman
    Dan Bern - Superman
    Richard Caiton - Superman
    Barton Carroll - Superman
    Excelsior - Superman (or you may prefer the version by Doc & Prohibition)
    Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians - Superman
    Attempted Moustache - Superman
    Lazlo Bane - Superman
    Barbra Streisand - Superman (great album cover with that one!)
    Bill Caddick - Superman

    I need to get out more. (At least I didn't suggest Black Lace.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I allow parenthetic extensions if I like the band, so The Kinks track is allowed. This series is going to end up like Mornington Crescent.

      Delete
  2. R.E.M. for me- worth remembering that Stipe thought it was so cheesy that he refused to sing on it though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I add The Flaming Lips and Chris Mills to Rol's list please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Lips' song called Waiting For A Superman?

      Delete
    2. Yup - as is the Chris Mills cover!

      Delete