Monday 18 March 2024

The hold that she had

Disclaimer: this post was written in December 2023, and scheduled for future posting. Its contents may no longer be accurate or appropriate.

She didn't live in a meadow by a pond - she lived in a first-floor flat, not far from The Cross Keys, but that's far less poetic. Notwithstanding that, she certainly touched me for a moment, an impossibly high number of years ago. I have often thought of the Jonbar point she and I pivoted around, a quarter of a century or so ago, and the cost of my naïve misunderstanding. What might have been? We shall never know. Probably best not to even think about it, not if I want to sleep at nights.

What I do know is that today is her birthday. She doesn't read this blog, or even know of its existence, which is all that enables me to write the previous paragraph, and post this song. Happy birthday.

Tip the author

12 comments:

  1. Such an elegant and intimate piece of writing... thanks for letting us in, Martin. The "what if"s in life can be so hard. But I like to think that sometimes the things we leave hanging in the air and unrequited can also forever remain untainted and exquisite, to be simply appreciated for what they once were, or nearly were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's the easiest way of dealing with such things, to rationalise them and repaint them as unsullied.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes short posts can say so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oof. I had to look up Jonbar but I already knew what you meant; having had a Jonbar point of my own.

    Anon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Anon. I sometimes think there should be some kind of quantitative scale for Jonbar points, although this one may have been off the top of that scale.

      Delete
  4. I tiptoe along the razor's edge of emotion at the best of times and this beautifully written post sent me reeling. A great tune to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. It's sharp, that edge, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. The Man Of Cheese24 March 2024 at 13:53

    The Cross Keys! A few happy hours in there,sadly shut and still searching a buyer. I fear the chance is slim given the record number of pubs shutting these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad indeed. The haunts of our youth are closing, or changing beyond recognition. What happened, eh?

      Delete
  6. Astonishing. Had to look it up, and didn't realise until now that I too have had a Jonbar point in my life. I've a feeling I'll find it hard to concentrate for the next few hours. I need some sort of serious distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is littered with Jonbar points, most minor, some massive, of course. Dwelling for too long on the massive ones can seriously mess with your head. I would advise against it, but since I can't take my own advice...

      Delete