Sunday 1 January 2023

Keeping the winter at bay

Okay, let's do another year, shall we? Appropriately, this is January Hymn by indie folk-rockers The Decemberists, from their punningly-titled 2011 album The King Is Dead. Finger on the pulse, me.

On a winter's Sunday I go
To clear away the snow
And green the ground below
April all an ocean away
Is this a better way to spend the day?
Keeping the winter at bay
Where were the words I meant to say
Before you left
When I could see your breath lead
Where you were going to
Maybe I should just let it be
And maybe it will all come back to me
Seeing, oh, January, oh
How I lived a childhood in snow
And all my teens in tow
Stuffed in strata of clothes
Hail the winter days after dark
Wandering the grey memorial park
A fleeting beating of hearts
Where were the words I meant to say
Before she left
When I could see her breath lead
Where she was going to
Maybe I should just let it be
And maybe it will all come back to me
Seeing, oh, Janu... oh, January, oh.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Martin, I hope NYE was good to you and 2023 a darn sight better... at least in the things that we have some influence on (snap general election, anyone?)

    Thanks for another great year of NA and for getting 2023 off to a cracking start! All the best, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, appreciated. HNY to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Excellent, and such beautiful lyrics.
    Yes indeed, let's do another year. A happy new one to you, Martin and here's to better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, C. Let's go round again, as another song says.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Martin. Yes, let’s give this one a try, see how it goes.

    Beautiful song - might use it for my series.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite the Decemberists fan around the time of the band's initial releases, which I'm mortified to find is now 20 years ago. I lost track of them a little after that, but this tune sounds very nice to me. Best wishes to you and your family for 2023 Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereas as I hardly know them at all, and found this quite by chance. And likewise, a happy new year to you.

      Delete