Monday 9 January 2023

About bookmarks

I have a complicated relationship with Twitter. I mostly dislike it, especially the chaotic version that has been in place since the Musk takeover... but I can't seem to tear myself away completely, because just occasionally it throws something up that I perhaps wouldn't otherwise have seen.

Like most people, I retweet things that I think need or deserve greater attention, and like things that I want to show support for (whether I actually "like" them or, rather, feel some other emotion in response, like sympathy). I guess most people do something similar. But how do you use bookmarks? I tend to use them as a reminder to come back to something when time or circumstance allow. By circumstance, I most often mean when I'm somewhere I can play a song or video without issue. Anyway, the upshot of this approach (and the raison d'être for this post) is that I end up with a backlog of bookmarked tweets that I often don't get around to ever actually catching up with; in other words, I have a virtual to-read pile almost as big as my real one.

All of which is an overly wordy and slightly boring introduction to a cheap post that relies solely on embedding other people's content. I know, the shame... but regardless, in no particular order here's a small selection of the many, many tweets I've bookmarked in the last three months. Enjoy, or not.

And that's only a fraction of it, but there - I've done Twitter for you. You can thank me later (or not).

9 comments:

  1. Spotted myself in your bookmarks. Digital to read lists are a other feature of modern life we weren't warned about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And they distract us from the more important business of physical to-read lists, sadly. Or is that just me?

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, they absolutely do.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea Martin - loved so many of these. Carry On and Star Wars - who knew they could meld so well. Poor Marty McFly braving the elements, soooo 80s and the lovely Bernard Cribbins. Thanks for the entertainment. I have avoided Twitter as there is so much else to steal your time online, I would be done for if I spent time over there too. The gems usually find themselves get through to the mainstream though. Yes, spotted Adam too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially liked the voice of Peter Butterworth set to Obi Wan. And would like that Calvin & Hobbes pic on a t-shirt.

      Delete
  3. So much to enjoy here but, yes, how do we keep, and keep track of it all? That's a very good point you make. I have bookmarked so many things that half the time I can't even remember what they were but they just caught me at the time and I didn't want to 'lose' them "in case". In case of what?! Some I have returned to but many just sit there. I suppose it's like being in a library, we wouldn't live long enough to be able to read every book, but we want to have the option for whenever we can. I think we're in danger of becoming digital hoarders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the great "in case". My whole life is full of that...

      Delete
  4. I must confess to having hundreds of general bookmarks - various half read web pages, half watched YouTube clips etc that I'll probably never get around to revisiting. No Twitter ones though. If I hang around that platform for too long I tend to sink into despondency at the general state of the human race. Your selections here are great though. I particularly loved the Wedding Present clip and the Calvin & Hobbes panel - count me in for a t-shirt of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can get drawn into the Twitter doom spiral too.

      Delete