Saturday 20 August 2022

Great moments in music video history #6: Sun Hits The Sky

When this was released, keyboardist and brother-of-Gaz Rob Coombes hadn't officially joined the band, though he had been recording with them. The first half of the video for Sun Hits The Sky sees Rob travelling across a parched landscape in a Messerschmitt bubble car, hoping to arrive at the desert where the band are playing in time for his keyboard solo. Will he make it, viewers? What tension!

As an aside, I've been re-evaluating my thoughts on Supergrass lately. Back in the day, they didn't quite hit the mark for me... but I'm starting to think I gave them short shrift.

Anyway, here's the video.

4 comments:

  1. Supergrass are definitely due a reappraisal by your good self. Albums three and four especially. Always thought this track was a strange choice for a single, as great as it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it doesn't scream "single", does it?

      Delete
  2. Supergrass were lumped in with much less interesting bands at the time, but I always felt they had more in common with Super Furrys than Cast.

    ReplyDelete