Friday 14 January 2022

Blue Friday: Two Ribbons

I shouldn't like Let's Eat Grandma, should I? They're not aiming at parochial 50-somethings like me, are they? Christ, they were born this century, after all. Plus, I dont like their name (it's based on a grammar joke, the importance of a well-placed comma ... and I approve of that conceptually, obviously, but even so...)

I didn't listen to their first album, dismissing them from the off in my usual parochial, superior way. Their second won best album at the 2018 Q awards, but I still refused to show interest, like the ridiculous, arrogant old fool that I am.

And then this week I heard Two Ribbons, the title track from their third album ... and it's quietly brilliant. From what I can see, very different from those earlier releases that I sneeringly ignored, but hypnotic, haunting and just very ... now. Here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment