Monday 1 July 2019

Things I haven't blogged about

As I mentioned last month, I'm consciously blogging less in the hope that: (a) I have more time for other writing; and (b) I blog better when I do blog. So far the jury's out on both of those ambitions, but anyway.... For the record, here are some things I would have blogged about last month if I had been posting more...

  • The brilliance of film American Animals, which cleverly mixes documentary talking heads with the dramatic retelling of a bizarre but incredible true story. You can (and really should) watch for free on Amazon Prime if that's your bag.
  • Seeing Paul Weller live, for what I think was the sixth time, and, with his second encore, being treated to what I think might be the best encore run of songs I've ever experienced: Start!, Precious, Move On Up and A Town Called Malice. Top that, anyone!
  • Seeing Stereophonics live, and being struck by how they are a Jekyll and Hyde band - when they are indulging their obvious heavy rock tendencies, they almost bludgeon you, and listening live is like being hit with a club hammer. But when they take their foot off the pedal just a little bit, go more AOR, they are so much more engaging and effective.
  • Wanting to watch Good Omens so much, and loving how the opening minute of episode one put me in mind of the 1980s TV adaptation of Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, but then being unable to stay awake beyond the first fifteen minutes. Am I too tired, or is it not good enough? Should I try again? Third time's the charm, as we used to say...

4 comments:

  1. Most bands are better when they "go more AOR".

    Rol - irking musos since 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As per my comment last time on this topic, you obviously have so many ideas for blog posts at the moment but can't justify the time it would take to write them all. Just file them away like the rest of us for another day when you can justify the time spent - I recently mentioned I had 83 "ideas pending" but Rol then trumped that with his backlog of 354! Will be interesting to see if you come up with a resolution to the "blog or not to blog" question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "to blog or not to blog" question... think the answer might be just to blog less but (hopefully) better... time will tell!

      Delete