Tuesday 13 November 2018

All over the place

The other night, whilst scrolling through the higher numbered Freeview channels, I happened upon the closing minutes of Austin Powers, International Man Of Mystery. I remember going to watch that at the cinema and no-one in the audience laughing but it's not that bad, just a bit hit and miss where the hits are great and the misses aren't terrible. But one part of the film that is definitely worth a look is the closing credits, especially for the Powers-fronted band Ming Tea performing a mildly frantic 60s pastiche called BBC. I love it, not least because the smouldering Sixties siren with the cool-as Rickenbacker is none other than ex-Bangle Susanna Hoffs. Sigh. And it's a bloody great song. Here's the video, see what I mean.

The next day, I was listening to the BBC - John Humphreys on Radio 4. He described some Tories as "rebel MPs" but that just made me think of this:

So whilst I was singing along to "Elementary like A, B, C; easy as one, two, three" I couldn't help but segué (in my head, at least) into this:

From there, it was a short mental hop to older Michael's Man In The Mirror, and from there to the Lego Batman Movie. Yes, really.

As you can see, I was all over the place... which is also the title of the pre-fame, debut album from The Bangles.

And that's numberwang.

6 comments:

  1. Nicely done!
    (I've yet to watch the clips but love the circular journey.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I genuinely love the Ming Tea track and video!

      Delete
  2. The Man Of Cheese15 November 2018 at 20:48

    Back by public demand......Can't help but think of Andy Cox when we all to used dance/jiggle about to this!! Superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and doing that little skip/shuffle dance. Indelibly etched on our collective memories, and may it ever be so. Golden days, mate, golden days.

      Delete
  3. Bangles, yes. Rebel MC still gives me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Rol, but this song is tied up with all sorts of memories for me.

      Delete