Sunday 29 July 2018

The King of Parochia

This song is six years old, yet I've only just heard it, because I'm trapped in my own little closed system, my own arrogant little mirrored bubble, of only listening to things I already know I like.

And the worst part of this is, I've always been the same yet, at the same time, have been proud of the breadth of my musical knowledge. What a fraud.

Even this, which I've suddenly discovered, six years after the event, is a predictable "like", with its soft guitar jangle, indie delivery and hint of twee. And really, am I saying I like it, or that I approve of it, with my self-serving sense of unearned, undeserved musical superiority? What a tool.

6 comments:

  1. Real Estate are a consistently great band and make it all seem so effortless. Here's another favourite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgsdblVq8wo
    So much music, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be so hard on yourself....! This is how we all are, I think - and then every so often we're reminded of the joy of discarding what we think we know and embracing that which we don't.
    And now I'm sounding like a tool....
    Real Estate were a new discovery for me a few years ago too, in the most unlikely of places:
    http://sundriedsparrows.blogspot.com/2014/09/primitive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am last to the Real Estate party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with C. I think you're being a little hard on yourself here. Then again, I do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Rol, maybe. Or maybe I'm a music snob who thinks he knows best. I should work at Championship Vinyl.

      Delete